Office of the Chief Management Officer Overview
The Chief Management Officer (CMO) was established by Congress in Fiscal Year 2018 as third highest civilian in the Department behind the Secretary and the Deputy Secretary. The Chief Management Officer is responsible for ensuring that business transformation policies and programs are designed and managed to improve performance standards, efficiency, and effectiveness among the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), the Military Services, Combatant Commands, and the Defense Agencies and Department of Defense Field Activities.
Deliver optimized Enterprise Business Operations to assure the success of the National Defense Strategy.
Efficiency for lethality by leading business operations for the Department through innovative processes and services, data-driven solutions, and mission focused funding.
- Create a long-lasting culture of innovation, empowerment, and improvement to reduce the cost of doing business throughout the Department.
- Lead the integration and optimization of enterprise business operations throughout the Department.
- Deliver performance-driven shared services and an exceptional customer experience.
- Expand our data analytics capability and cultivate data-driven solutions.
- Decrease overlap and duplication throughout Defense business operations to increase mission focused funding.